How to Make Fresh Corn Tortillas Before Your Taco Filling is Ready
One of the things that makes a Mexican restaurant good or not is if they make their own tortillas. Fresh tortillas are night and day to store bought. They have a fresh flavor and soft texture that genuinely adds to your meal rather than just being a flavorless medium that transports taco meat to the mouth. This homemade corn tortilla recipe is so simple, especially if you have a tortilla press. If you happen to have a Fiesta where you live you can find an aluminum one for super cheap that will last you forever. If not, Walmart will have what you need to take your tacos from good to holy cow.
So don’t be intimidated, having homemade corn tortillas seems daunting but once you get the hang of it you’ll never go back to store bought.
Homemade Corn Tortillas
If you don't have a tortilla press (even though you should now that you see how easy it is to have amazing tortillas in no time), you can use a rolling pin to roll them out, just set your expectations to not have 19 identical tortillas
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Mix the water and masa harina in a large bowl until a firm dough has formed. The dough should be firm and springy, if dry or sticky add more masa or water as needed.
- Roll the dough out into a log and cut into 19 equal portions.
- Preheat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place one ball of dough between 2 pieces of wax paper or parchment paper and flatten using a tortilla press. Turn the tortilla 90 degrees and flatten a second time.
- Cook the tortilla on the griddle or skillet for 60 seconds per side and remove to a tortilla warmer or a plate lined with a cloth napkin.
- Repeat pressing and cooking until all of the dough has been cooked.
The recipe can be cut or increased as needed, just stick to the 2:1.5 ratio of masa:water
Eating healthy doesn’t mean bland food and daily salads. Well Planned can help you try new and exciting recipes like this every week. We’ll send you 4 amazing dinner recipes and a grocery list every week for the diet and serving size that fits your needs. Sign up now and start living your healthiest you!